Admission and enrolment

Admissions and registration procedures for non-European Union nationals:

The admission requirements depend on the level of studies and field of study chosen:

  • To access first cycle studies (Bachelor) :

You must hold a secondary school leaving certificate recognised to be equivalent to the upper secondary education certificate issued in Wallonia-Brussels.

Students holding a foreign upper secondary education certificate must therefore submit an application for equivalence of their diploma or certificate of completion of secondary education to the Equivalencies Service of the Ministry of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation to gain access to the Bachelor degree programmes.

Please note: In some areas of study, as is the case for Belgian students, international students must also pass an entrance exam (arts colleges, engineering) or a competitive examination at the end of a first year of study (medicine and dentistry).

Get in touch with the higher education institution of your choice to find out more about the terms of admission.

  • To be admitted to the specialised studies of the first study cycle (Specialised bachelor)

The Specialised bachelor completes a first bachelor. You must therefore be a holder of a higher education degree of at least 60 credits (bachelor).

To find out about the specific admission arrangements for the higher education institution of your choice, we advise you to contact its admission department.

  • To be admitted to the second study cycle (Master)

Generally, to access the Masters programme, you must have already received a “first cycle” degree (Bachelor’s degree - 180 credits) in the same field of study as the Masters you wish to take.

Holders of a higher education qualification obtained abroad who wish to pursue second study cycle studies in Wallonia-Brussels generally do not need a decision on the equivalence of their diploma from the Ministry of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation.

Registration is in 5 steps :

NB: There are specific admissions criteria for each Masters. Generally, these are listed on the presentation form for the Masters published on the institution’s website.
Every higher education institution has an admissions and registration service. We strongly advise you to get in touch with this service for specific information about what procedures to follow.
  • To be admitted to second study cycle specialisation studies (Specialised Master)
You must hold a second study cycle higher education degree (Master) corresponding to at least 120 credits.

Particular cases:
Do you have personal or professional experience?
“Valorisation des Acquis de l’Expérience” (VAE): If you have built up at least five years of professional or personal experience in a specific field, this may be considered by the Admissions Panel of the higher education institute of your choice, via a specific evaluation procedure, and may give you direct access to the second cycle. You may eventually be awarded an official continuous education diploma or certificate!
  • To be admitted to third study cycle (Doctorate)
Admission to third study cycle (Doctorate) is reserved to holders of a second study cycle degree (Master) corresponding to at least 120 ECTS credits or a similar degree (foreign or not) and recognised as equivalent by the Admission Jury.
It is important to know that a doctoral thesis is written under the guidance of a supervisor (advisor). To apply, the student must have a thesis project that is sufficiently defined and the written consent of an advisor. We advise you to consult the universities websites.
To find out more about postgraduate studies, consult the Doctoral Studies section.


If your admission application is accepted, a last step remains to be completed before gaining student status: enrolment with the institution of your choice. To be properly enrolled, the student must: fulfil the admission requirements and pay the tuition fees.


Important note for students from the PR of China
Since the 2007-2008 academic year, Chinese students must generally obtain a certificate from the Center for Academic Assessment (APS) in Beijing to obtain a student visa and therefore pursue higher studies in a higher education institution in Wallonia-Brussels, based on graduate studies in PR China.
For more information on the APS procedure, please consult the following webpage: APS procedure for Chinese students